Thursday, April 28, 2011

Harissa recipe


I love having a jar of harissa in the fridge.  When I am feeling lazy I can put 1/4 teaspoon of harissa into whatever it is I am cooking for myself and it livens everything up very well, particularly leftovers!  If I am cooking for more people, yes, I would put more.  

There are many recipes out there for harissa.  This one I have used for many years now and it always works and tastes good, which is the the important part.  I do tend to make a larger quantity which will make a couple of jars as I enjoy giving the extra jars to friends and relish the momentary adoration I receive.

HARISSA 

½ cup
dried red chillies – stalks removed
4 cloves
garlic
2 tablespoons
lemon juice
1 teaspoon
ground coriander

oil

salt

retained cooking water


start by bringing chillies to boil in a pan, using just enough water to cover them        
remove from heat and set aside to sit in water for one hour
drain chillies and place in blender
add the coriander, lemon juice and salt
whizz, adding enough oil and retained cooking water to produce a purée
store in tightly covered jar       



No comments:

Post a Comment