Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cheese biscuits

I have always loved the idea of little cheesy home-made biscuits which are great to have a bowlful on the table when you are having a glass of wine. I am sure I have had a recipe tucked away although I do not recall ever making them but when I went hunting for this recipe a few weeks ago I could not find whatever it was anywhere.  So to Google I went and after trolling through all the American cheese biscuit recipes, which to an Australian are really scones, I found something that looked like it might be what I was after and so decided to give it a go.  The resulting biscuits were exactly what I wanted.  I have now made them several times and they are easy, fun and tasty and have the seal of approval from my daughter and son-in-law.


This is my version of these tasty little morsels:

125 grams unsalted real butter
150 grams plain flour
1/2 cup grated tasty cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
pinch of salt

pile all these ingredients into a food processor
process until a dough ball forms
take out of bowl, break into two pieces
roll each piece into a sausage shape using plastic wrap
roll up in the plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
take out of fridge and unwrap
slice dough into thin circles
place on baking paper on oven tray
sprinkle a little chilli powder or paprika and sea salt on the top of each biscuit
bake for 10 - 12 minutes in 180 deg oven
best to cool a little at least before serving otherwise people will burn their mouths

these wrapped dough rolls can be frozen - in which case make at least a double quantity of the dough
take dough roll out of the freezer, turn on oven and by the time the oven is hot you can slice the dough, place on trays, sprinkle and bake

All the usual things apply such as you can use margarine, olive oil spread, low cholesterol such as Pulse instead of real butter (my preference is Lurpak unsalted butter); with the flour it can be stoneground, wholemeal, spelt, whatever you wish; the cheese does not have to be parmesan - I used fetta once.
These biscuits are easy to make and fun to eat. 


Be prepared for the fact that there will not be leftovers.





No comments:

Post a Comment